Monday, March 5, 2007

The 10 Commandments of Blogging According to Jakob


I just read through Jakob Nielsen's Top Ten design mistakes for Weblogs. Of course I had the same reaction that most had when he decreed that all web pages should load within 10 seconds 'for users to keep their attention on the task.' Everybody panic!

Here's his list with my grade:

  1. No Author Biographies - Fail!
  2. No Author Photo - Fail!
  3. Nondescript Posting Titles - ummm, sometimes fail!
  4. Links Don't Say Where They Go - Pass!
  5. Classic Hits are Buried - Fail with an excuse; My library isn't that deep yet!
  6. The Calendar is the Only Navigation - Fail!
  7. Irregular Publishing Frequency- Fail, but I already apologized.
  8. Mixing Topics - Fail, but variety counts for something.
  9. Forgetting That You Write for Your Future Boss - Fail. Screw them. ;)
  10. Having a Domain Name Owned by a Weblog Service - Fail, but only because Blogger doesn't allow you to post to a sub-directory.

Ok. I'll fix a few of them. I wonder if there is some sort of Neilsen Blog Compliance Tool like they have for HTML and XHTML. By the way, Blogger, there are 762 XHTML errors on this blog.


By the way, Here's a funny faux-article about Jakob declaring the Letter "C" unusable.

No comments: