Sunday, April 1, 2007

Foxton's Storytelling


I received the above letter in the mail. Before I trashed it, I noted how they used an absolutely awful story to get me to call them. They talk about an anonymous woman who needed my help. She also happens to be a "mortgage qualified buyer" and is very anxious. "Can I possibly help her?"

I think this type of marketing would be better suited if they mashed-up Seth Godin's All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World and a well crafted persona. If you are going to a lie to me, please do a much better job of it.

If you are a real estate salesperson you can do much better than using these template letters they sell online such as this that offers things like:
  • Letter explaining why a prospective seller needs you
  • Letter designed to reach a FSBO (Apparently this acronym is common to this field for "For Sale By Owner")
  • Follow-up letter to a prospective buyer after a showing
  • Thank you for a prospective buyer that showed up at your open house
  • Encouragement and reasons why a client should relist with you
  • Follow-up letter for two weeks after a seller listed with you

No comments: