Wednesday, June 6, 2007

And The Winner Is…Media Website Award Company!


Recently I read on ESPN.com's website that they won an EPpy award for best sports website. They listed some of the other winners. I agreed with a few of the choices, such as:

Best Newspaper-Affiliated Web Site with more than 1 million unique monthly visitors
NYTimes.com

Best Sports Web Site with more than 1 million unique monthly visitors
ESPN.com

Best News Web Site with more than 1 million unique monthly visitors
BBC News

So…What is an EPpy award? I looked it up. The contest is only open to media companies. If you win, you get a plaque and are included on a press release stating that you won. The sites are judged by "industry experts" chosen by management of Editor & Publisher and Mediaweek.

I started looking at the other winners, and while some were good, there were some less than stellar choices. It was interesting how on first read of the ESPN.com story I thought they had won some prestigious award, especially by listing other known winners. Here are some of the winners they didn't list:

Best Special Feature in a Web Site - News or Event, fewer than 1 million unique monthly visitors
IndyMoms.com

Best Special Feature in a Web Site - Enterprise, fewer than 1 million unique monthly visitors
Unrighteous Traffick: Rhode Island's slave history

Best Classified Web Site with fewer than 1 million unique monthly visitors
Nwjobs.com

I guess if you only receive 450 submissions, you are somewhat limited as to who you can choose as a winner. Clearly the winner here is the producer of the event itself. It cost $150 to submit a website and over 450 sites were submitted. I'm bad at math, but I think that means they made over $67,500. I need to start a website award contest!

No comments: