Saturday, June 23, 2007

What Happened To Good Old In-Context, Blue, Underlined Links?

I was recently reading this article online, when I discovered this new species of nasty advertising. I have noticed them before, but they have evolved and were now beginning to ruin my online reading experience. If I accidentally ran my cursor over this new, strange looking type of link, a pop-up ad would appear right on top of the content I was reading.

That wasn't the bad part. I've come to the point where I have low expectations and expect the worst when it comes to trying to read content and ads interfering. These were different though. They don't go away when you move your mouse. They sit there and make you brew hatred of them while the seconds tick away until their departure. One type of ad has an "X" on it leading me to believe I can close it, but I have no desire to touch this thing. It's like a tiny, poisonous snake that I am genetically coded to avoid. Will it take me away from my page? Could I miss the "X" icon and trigger another one of these vipers?

Luckily, the villains that designed this new type of ads have branded them with bizarre designs, like a poisonous snake warning you of something wicked happening if you get too close.

Diamond and dotted red underlines or green double underlines with varying degrees of thickness were slithering all over the content. Remember when in-context links were friendly? They were just blue, 1 pixel underlines that everyone grew to know and love. They were comforting and helpful. Now that I've experienced the venom of their mutated offspring and love has turned to loathe, I avoid these limbless creatures at all costs as my ancestors must have done.

My overall experience had changed. I couldn't read the article as I typically did. I had to keep my cursor away from the content area so that I wouldn't spawn one of these demon seeds. I just moved my cursor off the page and took my hand off the mouse. My next move will be to just avoid articles with these coiled serpents ready to strike altogether.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

agreed. incredibly bad. even the vibrant ads which are double blue are bad enough.

fuck them. from now on i will just be forced to clear out more ads using client-side hacks like greasemonkey proxomitron and others.

this marks a new day for web-crappiness 2.0