Sunday, August 19, 2007

Back In The Windows Saddle Again

Losing your computer in 2007 is a lot different than it used to be. I've owned personal computers for the last 20 years, but the experience is so much more immersive today. Computers touch so many facets of our life that when it is gone it is almost like losing a room in your home. Family photos, personal videos, music collections, blogging, collaboration, etc. My dependence on this box has crept up on me. Too many special things now exist only in digital form on a gimantic, fragile hard drive.

I've spent the last week thinking about next steps and how to approach Gateway Hard Drive 2.0. I'm still unsure about a lot of it, but my perspective has been changed by this awful experience. Just as the iPod took a few years before it became the innovation darling it is today, iLife has a lot more meaning to me now as well.

It's good to be back, however tenuous it now feels.

No comments: