Saturday, August 4, 2007

Why Didn't I Know What I Didn’t Know?

I've had an iSkin protector for my iPod Video for the last year. I bought it because I didn't want to scratch up my iPod. Simple. Last week I am sitting on my NJ Transit train, and while I'm struggling with the iSkin it finally dawns on me: Why am I doing this? Here are the things I really hated about it...

First off, it is a pain in the ass it is to get the clear plastic shield into the rubber layer, especially at the top. As you got the outside lip of the rubber it would pull itself away from the iPod itself and you'd have to start over. Grrr.

Next, while the rubber skin in front of the click wheel was ok for basic navigation, it was torture if you had to scroll through a lot of data. Your finger would stick to the rubber and not move smoothly. It was almost impossible for me to get the alphabetical navigation to popup because of this.

The Hold button is covered by the rubber so you can't tell what state it is in or even change it. You have to pull up the rubber to see it or change the setting, which causes you to have to wrestle it back into place with the plastic cover again when you're done. Every time.

Lastly, just to pile on, over time the rubber would grab all kinds of small debris and made it look like shit. Why should my pretty iPod be hidden under this dirty case?

I realize how much I didn't like using my iPod because of having to deal with the iSkin itself. I go online when I get home and see this cool looking acrylic thing from Belkin. I order it, and got it by the end of the week. Wow, is this thing easy to use. Every scenario above is remedied by this case, and it looks great.

So why did I wait a year until I did this? I didn't know what I didn't know. This was my first case for my first iPod Video. It was doing its job of protecting the iPod from scratches, it just wasn't a good overall experience. If this had been my fifth iPod case for my seventh iPod I would have known as soon as I opened the box a year ago.

It reminds me a lot of when you first begin to play a musical instrument such as electric guitar. Do you like a Les Paul neck or a Fender Stratocaster? What kind of pickups do you like? What kind of picks? What weight strings do you prefer? What kind of Amplifier? What kind of speakers? You just don't know the answers to these questions before you have experience, and a lot of it. After investing time with your instrument and your equipment, you just know. Now I know what I didn't know.

No comments: