Sunday, February 17, 2008

Good User Experience Design Lives In The Little Things: Jott Account Creation


I came across this service called Jott. I thought it would be useful for quickly jotting down ideas for blog entries and other things I want to note quickly. Having two small children has definitely impacted my ability to remember things in some strange way. How Jott works is you call a toll-free number and speak for up to 30 seconds. Jott then transcribes the recording into a text message and keeps the recording for you to retrieve whenever you want. Seems ideal for someone with sporadic, partial memory loss like myself.

I haven't used it enough to say if it is good or bad, but the user interface design for account creation and setup was really good. Watch the video to see the small checkmarks that appeared for validation. It almost was fun making them appear. These small visual cues were a part of the entire account creation process that not only made everything easy, but enjoyable. The graphics were pretty and the feedback was good. They let me know what step I was at along the way, which included having to call an 800 number. All of these tiny user interface details could never have been part of a business requirements document. There is something else that needs to be part of a product lifecycle to make sure these small, enjoyable things are consistently part of the output.

I'm looking forward to using this and seeing if Jott keeps garnering such good user experience feedback from me.

No comments: