Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Unintended Brand Evolution: Cheese That Laughs Out Loud


Recently I was shopping at a local grocery store, Stop & Shop. It's not an experience I enjoy like Wegman's but it is close by. Sometimes convenience trumps good experience. When I got home from shopping and was putting away the groceries, I noticed that the label on the cheese said, "LOL AMERICAN CHEESE YELLOW" and it made me giggle. Was there OMG SALAMI and ROFLMAO BALONEY at the same deli? LOL actually stands for Land O' Lakes, which has been part of our culture since the 1920's. I don't think they envisioned their store code would end up having a different cultural meaning 80 years later. This reminds me a little bit of the doomed appetite-suppresant of the late 70s/early 80s, Ayds. Note the awesome camera used at the end of the video clip...and no this is not a parody, this was real:

No comments: