Sunday, July 12, 2009

Getting Back in the PC Saddle Post-Umpteenth Crash

About a month ago, I was sitting at my 6-month old, kick-ass computer doing work. The next moment, I was staring at a black screen, with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. The Black Screen of Death had bitten me. I spent extra money on this super machine to trick myself into believing that this wouldn't happen again. Oh well, almost a month later, here I am back to re-installing all the software and licking my wounds.

So what should I do to avoid losing data and more importantly time? Do I need 2 computers? A home server? The more content we put online the better in cases like these. But then who do you trust with all of your content? Facebook? Flickr? Seems like a good place to innovate now that more and more of our living room is going digital. No more photo albums, home videos and CDs in cases to keep safe from things like fire. Now it is jittery operating systems.

2 comments:

Jonthan said...

Michael,
You don't need two computers, a server or any of that other nonsense. You need a Mac.

Michael Grossman said...

Jonthan,

I wish it was that easy! I've had Macs die on me as well, but so much less frequently. OK, the truth is I never lost a Mac and I've owned them since 1987. The bigger thing keeping Windows as my main platform is experiencing things on the web as most people do. Unfortunately, that is on a PC. Things change though. Who knew that the best phone experience would be on an Apple product 5 years ago? Change you can believe in.